Friday, April 14, 2006

Order from Chaos

I know that some may find this odd, but well, I enjoy untangling yarn. Really.

I understand that some of you may now need to be revived with smelling salts, such is your hatred of untangling a messy, knotty tangle of yarn, especially considering that said yarn is a lace weight wool that likes to pill on itself, creating nasty little snags of bunched up fiber.

But me, I love it. I guess it has to do with my love of order. I like for things to be all neat and tidy and in lovely little balls.
It should however be noted that if my mom read that, she would be on the floor laughing, because I am a not so tidy housekeeper. I said I liked for things to be nice and neat. But when you have a 5 year old and one too many cats, nice and tidy becomes the stuff of dreams.

So, I create the order where I can - through the yarn. I take this knot of lovely wool and I slowly work my way through it. Around and through, over or under, a gentle tug here, a loop there, and eventually I end up with a tidy little ball of yarn. Order from chaos - I'll get it where I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I fellow anal retentive lover of order (who despises cleaning house) I completely understand. I find untangling yarn (or silk thread which tangles by blinking at it) to be almost meditative. Except for that TG silk pearl 1 ply crap! That stuff is just wrong it gets so tangled!