Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Newish book review

I purchased a digital camera last week, so I’m going to try and work on adding some pictures to the old blogola, but it may take me a while.
I finished a pumpkin hat for the Harlot’s WIC lady in Cal. While I borrowed the idea from Holly, I really sort of just made it up as I went along. I’m going to grab some AA batteries tonight, so hopefully I’ll have pics up later this week.
And, I know I said I would try and review (using that term very loosely) The Knitting Way, but I left it at home and I don’t want to review it without having it in front of me. I will say that if you are looking for lots of patterns and pictures of said patterns, this is not the book for you. The only pictures are in black and white, and there is usually only one picture of the item. However, it does have some really cool stuff to say about the meditative and spiritual aspects of knitting. More to come.
In other knittinb book news the copy of Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush that I have been waiting for finally arrived today. I am so going to buy this book. It has lots of great sock patterns, as well as some fun history of sock knitting. If you liked Nancy’s Folk Socks book, you will like this book too.
It has great pictures; simple, easy to follow instructions and charts; and in the first part of the book, Nancy includes 4 different types of heels, and 6 different types of toes. She also has timelines of fun facts on the bottom of the pattern pages. (Fun for the history geeks among us that is.)
She also lists the full information for the yarns she used, so that swapping a yarn should be pretty easy. I hate it when a pattern just says “Yarn used WoolHouse PinkPetunia” and that’s all. Or just, “Worsted weight wool, 50 oz.” or “2 ply yarn, 280 yards” I want to as much information as possible, so that if I need to substitute a different yarn, I can without too much worry that it will mess up the pattern. But I digress.
All in all, I think that this book will make a great addition to any sock knitter’s book shelf.

No comments: